Re: Status of FDW pushdowns

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Status of FDW pushdowns
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 11:15:36AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 11/28/2013 03:24 AM, David Fetter wrote:
> > WITH, or SRF, or whatever, the point is that we need to be able to
> > specify what we're sending--probably single opaque strings delimited
> > just as we do other strings--and what we might get back--errors only,
> > rows, [sets of] refcursors are the ones I can think of offhand.
>
> So, you're thinking of something like:
>
> WITH FOREIGN somecte AS $$... foreign query ...$$
> SELECT ...
> FROM somecte;

I was picturing something a little more like an SRF which would take
one opaque string, the remote command, some descriptor, perhaps an
enum, of what if anything might come back.  Long ago, I implemented a
similar thing in DBI-Link.  It was called

remote_exec_dbh(data_source_id integer, query text, returns_rows bool)

That covered only some of the cases I've come up with since.  My
current idea is something more like

remote_execute(   data_source_id integer, /* This corresponds to a "handle" in SQL/MED-speak */   query text,   returns
enum(      'void',       'some_type',       'setof some_type',       'setof record',       'refcursor',       'setof
refcursor'  )

)

This could appear in a FROM or WITH clause.  There might also be some
aliasing and/or syntactic sugar along the lines of remote_execute_void(),
remote_execute_rows(), etc.  Given the possibility of cooperation with
the planner and executor, we might want to extend some attributes like
sortedness where applicable.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!