Re: First patch -- somewhat trivial feature

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: First patch -- somewhat trivial feature
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Robert Berry (berrydigital@gmail.com) wrote:
> This is my first attempt at writing a patch, so it's pretty simple.

Neat!

>              seq_page: 1.000000, rnd_page: 4.000000, cpu_tup: 0.010000,
> cpu_ind: 0.005000, cpu_op: 0.002500
>              amenabled: 11111111111
>
>     The bit vector is enable variables in the order listed in cost.h,
> though mainly provides a high level view on whether or not any strategies
> are disabled.

While I like the general idea, I have to admit that I don't particularly
like the format and I'm not sure why it makes sense to have this as part
of 'explain'?  Why not do a 'show all;' ahead of the explain?

> I recognize that this is kind of a frivolous feature which may not be worth
> any potential maintenance burden, so submitted for what it's worth as an
> initial effort.

A bit more understanding about why you find it particularly useful (your
specific use-case for it) would be helpful.  Also, may I suggest that
you look at http://commitfest.postgresql.org as you'll be asked to post
any patches you wish to submit there for review and consideration.
Thanks!
    Stephen