Re: ERROR during end-of-xact/FATAL

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: ERROR during end-of-xact/FATAL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch wrote:

> Incomplete list:
>
> - If smgrDoPendingDeletes() finds files to delete, mdunlink() and its callee
>   relpathbackend() call palloc(); this is true in all supported branches.  In
>   9.3, due to commit 279628a0, smgrDoPendingDeletes() itself calls palloc().
>   (In fact, it does so even when the pending list is empty -- this is the only
>   palloc() during a trivial transaction commit.)  palloc() failure there
>   yields a PANIC during commit.

I think we should fix this routine to avoid the palloc when not necessary.
That initial palloc is pointless.

Also, there have been previous discussions about having relpathbackend
not use palloc at all.  That was only because we wanted to use it in
pg_xlogdump which didn't have palloc support at the time, so it's no
longer as pressing; but perhaps it's still worthy of consideration.