Re: record identical operator

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: record identical operator
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 2013-09-20 11:05:06 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Sure; my thinking was going back to what Hannu had suggested where we
> > have a mechanism to see if the value was updated (using xmin or similar)
> > and then update it in the mat view in that case, without actually doing
> > a comparison at all.
>
> VACUUM, HOT pruning. Have fun.

Yea, clearly oversimplified, but I do expect that we're going to reach a
point where we're looking at the rows being updated in the base rels and
which rows they map to in the view and then marking those rows as
needing to be updated.  That whole mechanism doesn't depend on this
"are-they-binary-equal" approach and is what I had anticipated as the
path we'd be going down in the future.

The above is also what I recall had been discussed at the hackers
meeting, along with some ideas/papers about how to specifically
implement partial updates, hence my assumption that was what we were
talking about..
Thanks,
    Stephen