Re: Performance bug in prepared statement binding in 9.2?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Performance bug in prepared statement binding in 9.2?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 2013-09-11 15:06:23 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 09/11/2013 02:35 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >All,
> >
> >We've confirmed that this issue is caused by having long-running idle
> >transactions on the server.  When we disabled their queueing system
> >(which prodiced hour-long idle txns), the progressive slowness went away.
> >
> >Why that should affect 9.X far more strongly than 8.4, I'm not sure
> >about.  Does that mean that 8.4 was unsafe, or that this is something
> >which *could* be fixed in later versions?
> >
> >I'm also confused as to why this would affect BIND time rather than
> >EXECUTE time.
> >

> One thing that this made me wonder is why we don't have transaction_timeout,
> or maybe transaction_idle_timeout.

Because it's harder than it sounds, at least if you want to support
idle-in-transactions. Note that we do not support pg_cancel_backend()
for those yet...

Also, I think it might lead to papering over actual issues with
applications leaving transactions open. I don't really see a valid
reason for an application needing cancelling of long idle transactions.

Greetings,

Andres Freund