Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-09-11 12:53:29 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Here is an arugment for 3x.  First, using the documented 25% of RAM, 3x
> > > puts our effective_cache_size as 75% of RAM, giving us no room for
> > > kernel, backend memory, and work_mem usage.  If anything it should be
> > > lower than 3x, not higher.
> >
> > The other argument I see for the 3x value is that it is a compromise.
> > People with really large servers will want to increase it; people with
> > very small servers will want to reduce it.
>
> Yes, you could make the argument that 2x is the right default,
> especially considering work_mem.

I think that most of the arguments in this thread drastically
overestimate the precision and the effect of effective_cache_size. The
planner logic behind it basically only uses it to calculate things
within a single index scan. That alone shows that any precise
calculation cannot be very meaningful.
It also does *NOT* directly influence how the kernel caches disk
io. It's there to guess how likely it is something is still cached when
accessing things repeatedly.

I think nearly all practical experience shows that setting it smaller is
more likely to cause problems than setting it too low. We shouldn't be
too skimpy here.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services