Re: Intermittent hangs with 9.2

От Julien Cigar
Тема Re: Intermittent hangs with 9.2
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 02:04:57PM -0400, David Whittaker wrote:
> [...]
> >> entire database into memory, and the IO transactions reported by the
> >> server, as well as the disk reads reported by Postgres stay consistently
> >> low.
> >>
> >> We‘ve recently started tracking how long statements take to execute, and
> >> we’re seeing some really odd numbers. A simple delete by primary key, for
> >> example, from a table that contains about 280,000 rows, reportedly took
> >> 18h59m46.900s. An update by primary key in that same table was reported as
> >> 7d 17h 58m 30.415s. That table is frequently accessed, but obviously those
> >> numbers don't seem reasonable at all.
> >>
> >> Some other changes we've made to postgresql.conf:
> >>
> >> synchronous_commit = off
> >>
> >> maintenance_work_mem = 1GB
> >> wal_level = hot_standby
> >> wal_buffers = 16MB
> >>
> >> max_wal_senders = 10
> >>
> >> wal_keep_segments = 5000
> >>
> >> checkpoint_segments = 128
> >>
> >> checkpoint_timeout = 30min
> >>
> >> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
> >>
> >> max_connections = 500
> >>
> >> The server is a Dell Poweredge R900 with 4 Xeon E7430 processors, 48GB of
> >> RAM, running Cent OS 6.3.
> >>
> >> So far we‘ve tried disabling Transparent Huge Pages after I found a
> >> number of resources online that indicated similar interrupt/context switch
> >> issues, but it hasn’t resolve the problem. I managed to catch it happening
> >> once and run a perf which showed:
> >>

> >> +  41.40%       48154  postmaster  0x347ba9         f 0x347ba9
> >> +   9.55%       10956  postmaster  0x2dc820         f set_config_option
> >> +   8.64%        9946  postmaster  0x5a3d4          f writeListPage
> >> +   5.75%        6609  postmaster  0x5a2b0          f
> >> ginHeapTupleFastCollect
> >> +   2.68%        3084  postmaster  0x192483         f
> >> build_implied_join_equality
> >> +   2.61%        2990  postmaster  0x187a55         f build_paths_for_OR
> >> +   1.86%        2131  postmaster  0x794aa          f get_collation_oid
> >> +   1.56%        1822  postmaster  0x5a67e          f
> >> ginHeapTupleFastInsert
> >> +   1.53%        1766  postmaster  0x1929bc         f
> >> distribute_qual_to_rels
> >> +   1.33%        1558  postmaster  0x249671         f cmp_numerics|
> >>
> >> I‘m not sure what 0x347ba9 represents, or why it’s an address rather than
> >> a method name.
> >>
> >> That's about the sum of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if
> >> you want any more information about our setup, please feel free to ask.
> >>

> > I have seen cases like this with very high shared_buffers settings.
> >
> > 24Gb for shared_buffers is quite high, especially on a 48Gb box. What
> > happens if you dial that back to, say, 12Gb?
> >

> I'd be willing to give it a try.  I'd really like to understand what's
> going on here though.  Can you elaborate on that?  Why would 24G of shared
> buffers be too high in this case?  The machine is devoted entirely to PG,
> so having PG use half of the available RAM to cache data doesn't feel

Some of the overhead of bgwriter and checkpoints is more or less linear
in the size of shared_buffers. If your shared_buffers is large a lot of
data could be dirty when a checkpoint starts, resulting in an I/O spike
... (although we've spread checkpoints in recent pg versions, so this
should be less a problem nowadays).
Another reason is that the OS cache is also being used for reads and
writes and with a large shared_buffers there is a risk of "doubly cached
data" (in the OS cache + in shared_buffers).
In an ideal world most frequently used blocks should be in
shared_buffers and less frequently used block in the OS cache ..