Re: [PERFORM] encouraging index-only scans

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [PERFORM] encouraging index-only scans
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-09-06 13:01:59 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Yes, I think it might be hard to justify a separate VM-set-only scan of
> > > the table.  If you are already reading the table, and already checking
> > > to see if you can set the VM bit, I am not sure why you would not also
> > > remove old rows, especially since removing those rows might be necessary
> > > to allow setting VM bits.
> >
> > Yep. Although adding the table back into the fsm will lead to it being
> > used for new writes again...
>
> You mean adding _pages_ back into the table's FSM?  Yes, that is going
> to cause those pages to get dirty, but it is better than expanding the
> table size.  I don't see why you would not update the FSM.

You're right, we should add them, I wasn't really questioning that. I
was, quietly so you couldn't hear it, wondering whether we should
priorize the target buffer selection differently.

> > > Another problem I thought of is that while automatic vacuuming only
> > > happens with high update/delete load, index-only scans are best on
> > > mostly non-write tables, so we have bad behavior where the ideal case
> > > (static data) doesn't get vm-bits set, while update/delete has the
> > > vm-bits set, but then cleared as more update/deletes occur.
> >
> > Well, older tables will get vacuumed due to vacuum_freeze_table_age. So
> > at some point they will get vacuumed and the vm bits will get set.
>
> Hmm, good point.  That would help with an insert-only workload, as long
> as you can chew through 200M transactions.   That doesn't help with a
> read-only workload as we don't consume transction IDs for SELECT.

It's even 150mio. For the other workloads, its pretty "common" wisdom to
VACUUM after bulk data loading. I think we even document that.

> > > The more I look at this the worse it appears.   How has this gone
> > > unaddressed for over a year?
> >
> > It's been discussed several times including during the introduction of
> > the feature. I am a bit surprised about the panickey tone in this
> > thread.
>
> This December 2012 thread by Andrew Dunstan shows he wasn't aware that a
> manual VACUUM was required for index-only scans.  That thread ended with
> us realizing that pg_upgrade's ANALYZE runs will populate
> pg_class.relallvisible.

> What I didn't see in that thread is an analysis of what cases are going
> to require manual vacuum, and I have seen no work in 9.3 to improve
> that.  I don't even see it on the TODO list.

Yes, TODO maybe missing.

> It bothers me that we spent time developing index-only scans, but have
> significant workloads where it doesn't work, no efforts on improving it,
> and no documentation on manual workarounds.  I have not even seen
> discussion on how we are going to improve this.  I would like to have
> that discussion now.

It's not like the feature is useless in this case. You just need to
perform an extra operation to activate it. I am not saying we shouldn't
document it better, but it seriously worries me that a useful feature is
depicted as useless because it requires a manual VACUUM in some
circumstances.

> > Yes, we need to overhaul the way vacuum works (to reduce the frequency
> > of rewriting stuff repeatedly) and the way it's triggered (priorization,
> > more trigger conditions) but all these are known things and "just" need
> > somebody with time.

> Based on the work needed to improve this, I would have thought someone
> would have taken this on during 9.3 development.

There has been some discussion about it indirectly via the freezing
stuff. That also would require more "advanced" scheduling.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services