Re: Proposal - Support for National Characters functionality

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Proposal - Support for National Characters functionality
Дата
Re: Proposal - Support for National Characters functionality  ("Arulappan, Arul Shaji" <arul@fast.au.fujitsu.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Boguk, Maksym escribió:

> I think I give a wrong description there... it will be not GUC but
> GUC-type value which will be initialized during CREATE DATABASE and will
> be read only after, very similar to the lc_collate.
> So I think name  national_lc_collate will be better.
> Function of this value - provide information about the default collation
> for the NATIONAL CHARACTERS inside the database.
> That's not limits user ability of use an alternative collation for
> NATIONAL CHARACTERS during create table via COLLATE keyword.

This seems a bit odd.  I mean, if I want the option for differing
encodings, surely I need to be able to set them for each column, not at
the database level.

Also, as far as I understand what we want to control here is the
encoding that the strings are in (the mapping of bytes to characters),
not the collation (the way a set of strings are ordered).  So it doesn't
make sense to set the NATIONAL CHARACTER option using the COLLATE
keyword.