== PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 21 2013 ==

От David Fetter
Тема == PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 21 2013 ==
Дата
Список pgsql-announce
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 21 2013 ==

The Call for papers for PGConf.EU 2013 has been extended until July
29, 2013.
http://2013.pgconf.eu/

The CfP for Italian PostgreSQL day ends July 28, 2013.
http://2013.pgday.it/index.php/programma/call-for-papers-english/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

PG Partition Manager 1.3.0, an extension to manage time- or
serial-based table partitioning, released.
https://github.com/keithf4/pg_partman

== PostgreSQL Jobs for July ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2013-07/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PostgreSQL Brazil will be held August 15-17, 2013 in Porto Velho, RO,
Brazil.
http://pgbr.postgresql.org.br/2013/chamada.en.php

Postgres Open 2013 will be in Chicago, IL, USA, September 16-18.
The list of talks has been posted on the site.
http://postgresopen.org/

The Italian PGDay (PGDay.IT) will be held on October the 25th in
Prato, Tuscany, Italy, at Monash University Center.
The International Call For Papers is open:
http://2013.pgday.it/index.php/programma/call-for-papers-english/

pgconf.EU 2013 will be held on Oct 29-Nov 1, 2013 at the Conrad Hotel
in downtown Dublin, Ireland.  The CfP is open.
http://2013.pgconf.eu/

PGConf.DE 2013 will be held November 8th, 2013, at the Rhineland
Industrial Museum in Oberhausen.  The CfP is open through September
15, 2013.
http://2013.pgconf.de/

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david@fetter.org, German language
to pwn@pgug.de, Italian language to pwn@itpug.org.  Spanish language
to pwn@arpug.com.ar.

== Applied Patches ==

Stephen Frost pushed:

- Correct off-by-one when reading from pipe.  In
  pg_basebackup.c:reached_end_position(), we're reading from an
  internal pipe with our own background process but we're possibly
  reading more bytes than will actually fit into our buffer due to an
  off-by-one error.  As we're reading from an internal pipe there's no
  real risk here, but it's good form to not depend on such convenient
  arrangements.  Bug spotted by the Coverity scanner.  Back-patch to
  9.2 where this showed up.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/03010366b6fb61aac0998f234478cc745ff97b0c

- Check get_tle_by_resno() result before deref.  When creating a sort
  to support a group by, we need to look up the target entry in the
  target list by the resno using get_tle_by_resno().  This particular
  code-path didn't check the result prior to attempting to dereference
  it, while all other callers did.  While I can't see a way for this
  usage of get_tle_by_resno() to fail (you can't ask for a column to
  be sorted on which isn't included in the group by), it's probably
  best to check that we didn't end up with a NULL somehow anyway than
  risk the segfault.  I'm willing to back-patch this if others feel
  it's necessary, but my guess is new features are what might tickle
  this rather than anything existing.  Missing check spotted by the
  Coverity scanner.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4ed22e891f9915b02b753ee8763a8f2438234fc6

- Use correct parameter name for view_option_value.  The documentation
  for ALTER VIEW had a minor copy-and-paste error in defining the
  parameters.  Noticed when reviewing the WITH CHECK OPTION patch.
  Backpatch to 9.2 where this was first introduced.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f2719f6975398727ed492ecbcb2028bd134e5f6b

- WITH CHECK OPTION support for auto-updatable VIEWs.  For simple
  views which are automatically updatable, this patch allows the user
  to specify what level of checking should be done on records being
  inserted or updated.  For 'LOCAL CHECK', new tuples are validated
  against the conditionals of the view they are being inserted into,
  while for 'CASCADED CHECK' the new tuples are validated against the
  conditionals for all views involved (from the top down).  This
  option is part of the SQL specification.  Dean Rasheed, reviewed by
  Pavel Stehule
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4cbe3ac3e86790d05c569de4585e5075a62a9b41

Robert Haas pushed:

- vacuumlo: Use a cursor to limit client-side memory usage.  This
  prevents the client from gobbling up too much memory when the number
  of large objects to be removed is very large.  Andrew Dunstan,
  reviewed by Josh Kupershmidt
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/67ccbb080d87a5379dffc1cdff046c4caf534a6c

- Regression tests for LOCK TABLE.  Robins Tharakan, reviewed by
  Szymon Guz, substantially revised by me.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ac33c7e2c1304dffcf107065d7fc04232a8a94fa

- Assert that syscache lookups don't happen outside transactions.
  Andres Freund
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/42c80c696e9c8323841180029cc62741c21bd356

- Tab completion for \lo_import.  Josh Kupershmidt
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4403a9d7913043d99de9e13a9b54c57ed0c4501c

- Allow background workers to be started dynamically.  There is a new
  API, RegisterDynamicBackgroundWorker, which allows an ordinary user
  backend to register a new background writer during normal running.
  This means that it's no longer necessary for all background workers
  to be registered during processing of shared_preload_libraries,
  although the option of registering workers at that time remains
  available.  When a background worker exits and will not be
  restarted, the slot previously used by that background worker is
  automatically released and becomes available for reuse.  Slots used
  by background workers that are configured for automatic restart
  can't (yet) be released without shutting down the system.  This
  commit adds a new source file, bgworker.c, and moves some of the
  existing control logic for background workers there.  Previously,
  there was little enough logic that it made sense to keep everything
  in postmaster.c, but not any more.  This commit also makes the
  worker_spi contrib module into an extension and adds a new function,
  worker_spi_launch, which can be used to demonstrate the new
  facility.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7f7485a0cde92aa4ba235a1ffe4dda0ca0b6cc9a

- doc: Fix typos in conversion names.  David Christensen
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c8fb821afc2ce37b48b678251480b52e6b116868

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Fix PQconninfoParse error message handling.  The returned error
  message already includes a newline, but the callers were adding
  their own when printing it out.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/233bfe06735411f08d231764dfd3a6fcf7aef9a3

- doc: Remove tab from SGML file
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e8b1d1befeab17453eb2977e83a45649e6ed8790

- Clean up new JSON API typedefs.  The new JSON API uses a bit of an
  unusual typedef scheme, where for example OkeysState is a pointer to
  okeysState.  And that's not applied consistently either.  Change
  that to the more usual PostgreSQL style where struct typedefs are
  upper case, and use pointers explicitly.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ff41a5de0995f01a98b6fbc3a0c774b9a53e609a

Kevin Grittner pushed:

- Add support for REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW CONCURRENTLY.  This allows
  reads to continue without any blocking while a REFRESH runs.  The
  new data appears atomically as part of transaction commit.  Review
  questioned the Assert that a matview was not a system relation.
  This will be addressed separately.  Reviewed by Hitoshi Harada,
  Robert Haas, Andres Freund.  Merged after review with security patch
  f3ab5d4.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cc1965a99bf87005f431804bbda0f723887a04d6

Tatsuo Ishii pushed:

- Add --progress option to show progress report.  Patch contributed by
  Fabien COELHO, reviewed by KONDO Mitsumasa.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4a87f308b33457670f9ab4bc622678e5d285b9c2

Noah Misch pushed:

- Fix systable_recheck_tuple() for MVCC scan snapshots.  Since this
  function assumed non-MVCC snapshots, it broke when commit
  568d4138c646cd7cd8a837ac244ef2caf27c6bb8 switched its one caller
  from SnapshotNow scans to MVCC-snapshot scans.  Reviewed by Robert
  Haas, Tom Lane and Andres Freund.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ffcf654547ef38555203e6d716f47b7065a0a87d

- Implement the FILTER clause for aggregate function calls.  This is
  SQL-standard with a few extensions, namely support for subqueries
  and outer references in clause expressions.  catversion bump due to
  change in Aggref and WindowFunc.  David Fetter, reviewed by Dean
  Rasheed.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b560ec1b0d7b910ce13edc51ffaafaca72136e3b

- Comment on why planagg.c punts "MIN(x ORDER BY y)".
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7a8e9f298e7b8158296e1ea72ca8987323c10edf

Fujii Masao pushed:

- Fix typo in previous pgbench --progress patch.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/750f43685b1b88d4281074940cdcea0e328593aa

- Fix pgstattuple functions to use regclass-type as the argument.
  This allows us to specify the target relation with several
  expressions, 'relname', 'schemaname.relname' and OID in all
  pgstattuple functions.  pgstatindex() and pg_relpages() could not
  accept OID as the argument so far.  Per discussion on -hackers, we
  decided to keep two types of interfaces, with regclass-type and
  TEXT-type argument, for each pgstattuple function because of the
  backward-compatibility issue. The functions which have TEXT-type
  argument will be deprecated in the future release.  Patch by Satoshi
  Nagayasu, reviewed by Rushabh Lathia and Fujii Masao.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1dc118660b8f12d3bdec94b6f6e1068966ca62e9

- Fix typo in update scripts for some contrib modules.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6f9e39bc9993c18686f0950f9b9657c7c97c7450

Heikki Linnakangas pushed:

- Fix end-of-loop optimization in pglz_find_match() function.  After
  the recent pglz optimization patch, the next/prev pointers in the
  hash table are never NULL, INVALID_ENTRY_PTR is used to represent
  invalid entries instead. The end-of-loop check in pglz_find_match()
  function didn't get the memo. The result was the same from a
  correctness point of view, but because the NULL-check would never
  fail, the tiny optimization turned into a pessimization.  Reported
  by Stephen Frost, using Coverity scanner.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3f2adace1ec025908b5189f0773b4eaab3d228d5

- Fix assert failure at end of recovery, broken by XLogInsert scaling
  patch.  Initialization of the first XLOG buffer at end-of-recovery
  was broken for the case that the last read WAL record ended at a
  page boundary.  Instead of trying to copy the last full xlog page to
  the buffer cache in that case, just set shared state so that the
  inserted. (that's what we did in earlier version, too) To make the
  shared state required for that case less surprising, replace the
  XLogCtl->curridx variable, which was the index of the latest
  initialized buffer, with an XLogRecPtr of how far the buffers have
  been initialized.  That also allows us to get rid of the
  XLogRecEndPtrToBufIdx macro.  While we're at it, make a similar
  change for XLogCtl->Write.curridx, getting rid of that variable and
  calculating the next buffer to write from XLogCtl->LogwrtResult
  instead.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/59c02a36f0ef317958b2d14313b5c8e41cfd9be6

- Fix variable names mentioned in comment to match the code.  Also, in
  another comment, explain why holding an insertion slot is a critical
  section.  Per review by Amit Kapila.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/107cbc90a7564b6cd773c56ad3da8b66c7377df5

Tom Lane pushed:

- Fix a few problems in barrier.h.  On HPPA, implement
  pg_memory_barrier() as pg_compiler_barrier(), which should be
  correct since this arch doesn't do memory access reordering, and is
  anyway better than the completely-nonfunctional-on-this-arch
  dummy_spinlock code.  (But note this patch only fixes things for
  gcc, not for builds with HP's compiler.) Also, fix incorrect default
  definition of pg_memory_barrier as a macro requiring an argument.
  Also, fix incorrect spelling of "#elif" as "#else if" in icc code
  path (spotted by pgindent).  This doesn't come close to fixing all
  of the functional and stylistic deficiencies in barrier.h, but at
  least it un-breaks my personal build.  Now that we're actually using
  barriers in the code, this file is going to need some serious
  attention.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/89779bf2c8f9aa480e0ceb8883f93e9d65c43a6e

- Fix direct access to Relation->rd_indpred.  Should use
  RelationGetIndexPredicate(), since rd_indpred is just a cache that
  is not computed until/unless demanded.  Per buildfarm failure on
  CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS animals; diagnosis and fix by Hitoshi Harada.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/405a468b02dd80a069b95c4eb9838cb6a562eddd

- Fix regex match failures for backrefs combined with non-greedy
  quantifiers.  An ancient logic error in cfindloop() could cause the
  regex engine to fail to find matches that begin later than the start
  of the string.  This function is only used when the regex pattern
  contains a back reference, and so far as we can tell the error is
  only reachable if the pattern is non-greedy (i.e. its first
  quantifier uses the ? modifier).  Furthermore, the actual match must
  begin after some potential match that satisfies the DFA but then
  fails the back-reference's match test.  Reported and fixed by Jeevan
  Chalke, with cosmetic adjustments by me.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e2bd904955e2221eddf01110b1f25002de2aaa83

- Add checks for valid multibyte character length in UtfToLocal,
  LocalToUtf.  This is mainly to suppress "uninitialized variable"
  warnings from very recent versions of gcc.  But it seems like a good
  robustness thing anyway, not to mention that we might someday decide
  to support 6-byte UTF8.  Per report from Karol Trzcionka.  No
  back-patch since there's no reason at the moment to think this is
  more than cosmetic.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d9f37e6661ec654f7252bfc23e084c9e2ca5db14

- Fix error handling in PLy_spi_execute_fetch_result().  If an error
  is thrown out of the datatype I/O functions called by this function,
  we need to do subtransaction cleanup, which the previous coding
  entirely failed to do.  Fortunately, both existing callers of this
  function already have proper cleanup logic, so re-throwing the
  exception is enough.  Also, postpone creation of the resultset
  tupdesc until after the I/O conversions are complete, so that we
  won't leak memory in TopMemoryContext when such an error happens.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b3b10c39038c20457ef058c7f4e5589c28a84f1c

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- Move checking an explicit VARIADIC "any" argument into the parser.
  This is more efficient and simpler.  It does mean that an untyped
  NULL can no longer be used in such cases, which should be mentioned
  in Release Notes, but doesn't seem a terrible loss. The workaround
  is to cast the NULL to some array type.  Pavel Stehule, reviewed by
  Jeevan Chalke.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d26888bc4d1e539a82f21382b0000fe5bbf889d9

Michael Meskes pushed:

- Initialize day of year value.  There are cases where the day of year
  value in struct tm is used, but it never got calculated. Problem
  found by Coverity scan.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a2c1c3308f33a293152e65bbc0d25e7976dde23d

Alvaro Herrera pushed:

- Fix HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum on aborted updater xacts.  By using
  only the macro that checks infomask bits HEAP_XMAX_IS_LOCKED_ONLY to
  verify whether a multixact is not an updater, and not the full
  HeapTupleHeaderIsOnlyLocked, it would come to the wrong result in
  case of a multixact containing an aborted update; therefore
  returning the wrong result code.  This would cause predicate.c to
  break completely (as in bug report #8273 from David Leverton), and
  certain index builds would misbehave.  As far as I can tell, other
  callers of the bogus routine would make harmless mistakes or not be
  affected by the difference at all; so this was a pretty narrow case.
  Also, no other user of the HEAP_XMAX_IS_LOCKED_ONLY macro is as
  careless; they all check specifically for the HEAP_XMAX_IS_MULTI
  case, and they all verify whether the updater is InvalidXid before
  concluding that it's a valid updater.  So there doesn't seem to be
  any similar bug.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6737aa72ba7621d4db8e09210c65eecafc42b616

== Rejected Patches (for now) ==

No one was disappointed this week :-)

== Pending Patches ==

Michael Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to change
recovery.conf parameters to GUCs.

Gurjeet Singh sent in another revision of a patch to speed up
processing of long chains of AND and OR conditions.

Robins Tharakan sent in another revision of a patch to add regression
tests for ROLE (USER).

Robins Tharakan sent in another revision of a patch to add regression
tests for SCHEMA.

Robins Tharakan sent in another revision of a patch to add regression
tests for SEQUENCE.

Satoshi Nagayasu sent in two more revisions of a patch to change
pgstattuple/pgstatindex to use regclass-type as the argument.

Amit Kapila sent in another revision of a patch to implement ALTER
SYSTEM.

Satoshi Nagayasu and Kyotaro HORIGUCHI traded patches to add
visibility map information to pg_freespace.

Fabien COELHO, and Tatsuo Ishii traded patches to implement pgbench --throttle.

Hari Babu sent in another revision of a patch to improve performance
by reducing WAL for update operations.

David Fetter sent in a patch to allow foreign tables to be partitions
of local tables.

Robert Haas sent in a patch to get rid of SnapshotNow.

Greg Smith sent in another revision of a patch to implement row-level
accesss control.

Atri Sharma sent in a PoC patch to implement WITHIN GROUP, one
application of which is median.

Karol Trzcionka sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement
UPDATE ... RETURNING BEFORE/AFTER.

Tom Lane sent in a patch to prevent tuple-table leakage in plpgsql.

Heikki Linnakangas sent in a WIP patch to do segment-at-a-time writes
of dirty buffers in checkpoints.

Noah Misch sent in a patch to make all REINDEXes re-validate
constraints, as this behavior had accidentally been removed by an
earlier patch.

Quan Zongliang sent in a patch to improve performance for
Chinese-language databases.

В списке pgsql-announce по дате отправления: