Re: pgsql: Allow background workers to be started dynamically.

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: pgsql: Allow background workers to be started dynamically.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Hi,

On 2013-07-16 17:02:47 +0000, Robert Haas wrote:
> Allow background workers to be started dynamically.
> src/include/postmaster/bgworker.h           |   14 +-

The changes here make it impossible to write a bgworker which properly
works in 9.3 and 9.4. Was that intended? If so, the commit message
should mention the compatibility break...

That causes warnings like:
/home/andres/src/postgresql/contrib/bdr/bdr.c:655:24: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by
default]
  apply_worker.bgw_main = bdr_apply_main;
                        ^
/home/andres/src/postgresql/contrib/bdr/bdr.c:744:25: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘char[64]’ from
type‘char *’
   apply_worker.bgw_name = fullname;

And the bgw_name change will probably actually cause crashes...

If it was intended I propose changing the signature for 9.3 as
well. There's just no point in releasing 9.3 when we already know which
trivial but breaking change will be required for 9.4

Greetings,

Andres Freund