Re: [9.4 CF 1] The Commitfest Slacker List

От Michael Meskes
Тема Re: [9.4 CF 1] The Commitfest Slacker List
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 12:34:50PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> If you didn't feel obligated, you wouldn't be pissed at me.  You'd just
> blow it off (like Bruce did).  I think you're angry with me because you
> feel guilty.

That is outrageous bullshit!

> My *personal* viewpoint is that all committers should feel obligated to

And my *personal* viewpoint is that nobody should be offended like this. But
apparently I don't get my wish either.

> review and commit patches from other contributors.  That's why they're
> committers in the first place.  Certainly if a committer looks at the CF
> application and notices that 80% of the reviewing and committing is
> being done by three people, none of whom have any more "spare time" than
> they do, they should feel obligated to help those people out.

How many patches did you review? You don't have to be a committer to do that.

> We have a problem with patch reviewing and committing in this project;
> it's not being done in a timely fashion in general (every CF last year
> ended late), and the people who are doing most of the work feel
> overworked and frustrated.  This problem is getting worse every year,
> and will kill the project if it continues on its current trajectory.

As if publicly blaming people for not behaving the way you would like them to
will do the project a lot of good.

Let me stress again that you didn't even try talking to the people in question
in private before, nor did you bother putting your *suggestion* up for
discussion before flaming people.

Also let me stress again that I did *not* put a patch into the CF.

> 3) getting most of our existing contributors to shoulder their fair
> share of patch review.
>
> (3) is what I'm addressing on this thread.  The reason I volunteered to
> be CFM this time was directly because of our discussion in Ottawa of how
> the review process wasn't working.  I decided to find out *why* it
> wasn't working, and the first obvious thing I ran across was that most
> of our current and our long-term contributors weren't doing any patch
> review.  For CF1, the number of people submitting patches outnumbered
> those who had volunteered for review 2 to 1.  That *is* the review
> problem in a nutshell; everybody wants someone else to do the work.

Great, I wasn't part of any discussion as I didn't make it to Ottawa this time.
Neither am I part of the problem with 0 patches, but still I've got to shoulder
the blame in a less than friendly way.

> I don't think it's too much to ask people who are listed on the project
> developers page as major contributors to review one patch per CommitFest
> most of the time.  If they did just *one* it would substantially
> decrease the workload on the people who are currently doing the vast
> majority of review and commit.

You didn't ask! You blamed and offended people!

I won't go into details here because frankly why I have no time for reviewing a
patch is none of your business.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
Jabber: michael.meskes at gmail dot com

Сообщение: Re: [9.4 CF 1] The Commitfest Slacker List
Сообщение: Re: [9.4 CF 1] The Commitfest Slacker List