Re: pg_ctl and -h/help

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_ctl and -h/help
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 02:29:20PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > In studying pg_upgrade's handling of --help, I noticed that pg_ctl
> > supports -h for help, but it is the only tool to do so, and -h is not
> > documented.  I propose we remove -h for help in pg_ctl, and have it
> > support only -? and --help.
> I suppose that it doesn't hurt to have it, but for yes the sake of
> consistency with the other binaries it would make sense to remove it.
> Btw, not even the docs, it is also not listed in the --help message
> findable in code.

Agreed --- attached patch applied.  I also noticed that we sometimes
test for -? then --help, but other times do things in the opposite
order, and the same for -V/--version, so I made that consistent.

However, I also noticed that while we document -? before --help, we test
for --help before -?, and the same for -V/--version.  Should I make
those even more consistent by always testing for the single-letter
option first?

Вложения