Re: Bugfix and new feature for PGXS

От Cédric Villemain
Тема Re: Bugfix and new feature for PGXS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Le samedi 29 juin 2013 19:54:53, Andrew Dunstan a écrit :
> On 06/26/2013 10:52 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> >> Sure...
> >> I did a quick and dirty patch (I just validate without lot of testing),
> >> attached to this email to fix json_build (at least for make, make
> >> install)
> >> As you're constructing targets based on commands to execute in the
> >> srcdir
> >> directory, and because srcdir is only set in pgxs.mk, it is possible
> >> to define
> >> srcdir early in the json_build/Makefile and use it.
> >
> > This still doesn't do what I really want, which is to be able to
> > invoke make without anything special in the invocation that triggers
> > VPATH processing.
> >
> > Here's what I did that works like I think it should.
> >
> > First the attached patch on top of yours.
> >
> > Second, I did:
> >     mkdir vpath.json_build
> >     cd vpath.json_build
> >     sh/path/to/pgsource/config/prep_buildtree ../json_build .
> >     ln -s ../json_build/json_build.control .
> >
> > Then I created vpath.mk with these contents:
> >     ext_srcdir = ../json_build
> >     USE_VPATH = $(ext_srcdir)
> >
> > Finally I vpath-ized the Makefile (see attached).
> >
> > Given all of that, I was able to do, in the vpath directory:
> >     make
> >     make install
> >     make installcheck
> >     make clean
> >
> > and it all just worked, with exactly the same make invocations as work
> > in an in-tree build.
> >
> > So what's lacking to make this nice is a tool to automate the second
> > and third steps above.
> >
> > Maybe there are other ways of doing this, but this does what I'd like
> > to see.
>
> I haven't seen a response to this. One thing we are missing is
> documentation. Given that I'm inclined to commit all of this (i.e.
> cedric's patches 1,2,3, and 4 plus my addition).

I did so I sent the mail again. I believe your addition need some changes to
allow  the PGXS+VPATH case as it currently depends on the source-tree tool. So
it needs to be in postgresql-server-devel packages, thus installed by
postgresql "make install".
I'm going to update the doc. It's probably worth to have some examples.

> I'm also inclined to backpatch it, since without that it seems to me
> unlikely packagers will be able to make practical use of it for several
> years, and the risk is very low.

Yes, it is valuable to help packagers here, thanks.
--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/