Re: WITH CHECK OPTION for auto-updatable views

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: WITH CHECK OPTION for auto-updatable views
Дата
Re: WITH CHECK OPTION for auto-updatable views  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Dean,

* Dean Rasheed (dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com) wrote:
> Here's an updated version --- I missed the necessary update to the
> check_option column of information_schema.views.

Thanks!  This is really looking quite good, but it's a bit late and I'm
going on vacation tomorrow, so I didn't quite want to commit it yet. :)
Instead, here are a few things that I'd like to see fixed up:

I could word-smith the docs all day, most likely, but at least the
following would be nice to have cleaned up:
- 'This is parameter may be either'
- I don't like "This allows an existing view's ...".  The option can be  used on CREATE VIEW as well as ALTER VIEW.
I'dsay something like:
  This parameter may be either <literal>local</> or  <literal>cascaded</>, and is equivalent to specifying
<literal>WITH[  CASCADED | LOCAL ] CHECK OPTION</> (see below).  This option can be  changed on existing views using
<xreflinkend="sql-alterview">.
- wrt what shows up in '\h create view' and '\h alter view', I think we  should go ahead and add in with the options
are,ala EXPLAIN.  That  avoids having to guess at it (I was trying 'with_check_option'  initially :).
- Supposedly, this option isn't available for RECURSIVE views, but it's  happily accepted:

=*# create recursive view qq (a) with (check_option = local) as select z from q;
CREATE VIEW
   (same is true of ALTER VIEW on a RECURSIVE view)
- pg_dump support is there, but it outputs the definition using the PG  syntax instead of the SQL syntax; is there any
particularreason for  this..?  imv, we should be dumping SQL spec where we can trivially  do so.
- Why check_option_offset instead of simply check_option..?  We don't  have security_barrier_offset and it seems like
weshould be  consistent there.

The rest looks pretty good to me.  If you can fix the above, I'll review
again and would be happy to commit it. :)
Thanks!
    Stephen