Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-06-17 04:20:03 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Please find attached the latest versions of REINDEX CONCURRENTLY for the 1st
> > commit fest of 9.4:
> > - 20130606_1_remove_reltoastidxid_v9.patch, removing reltoastidxid, to allow
> > a toast relation to have multiple indexes running in parallel (extra indexes
> > could be created by a REINDEX CONCURRENTLY processed)
> > - 20130606_2_reindex_concurrently_v26.patch, correcting some comments and
> > fixed a lock in index_concurrent_create on an index relation not released at
> > the end of a transaction
>
> Could you let me know how this patch has something to do with MVCC catalog
> access patch? Should we wait for MVCC catalog access patch to be committed
> before starting to review this patch?

I wondered the same. The MVCC catalog patch, if applied, would make it
possible to make the actual relfilenode swap concurrently instead of
requiring to take access exlusive locks which obviously is way nicer. On
the other hand, that function is only a really small part of this patch,
so it seems quite possible to make another pass at it before relying on
mvcc catalog scans.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services