Re: pluggable compression support

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: pluggable compression support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-06-14 17:35:02 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > No. I think as long as we only have pglz and one new algorithm (even if
> > that is lz4 instead of the current snappy) we should just always use the
> > new algorithm. Unless I missed it nobody seemed to have voiced a
> > contrary position?
> > For testing/evaluation the guc seems to be sufficient.
>
> Then it's not "pluggable", is it?  It's "upgradable compression
> support", if anything.  Which is fine, but let's not confuse people.

The point is that it's pluggable on the storage level in the sense of
that several different algorithms can coexist and new ones can
relatively easily added.
That part is what seems to have blocked progress for quite a while
now. So fixing that seems to be the interesting thing.

I am happy enough to do the work of making it configurable if we want it
to be... But I have zap interest of doing it and throw it away in the
end because we decide we don't need it.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services