Re: MVCC catalog access

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: MVCC catalog access
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-06-05 18:56:28 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Now, I did find a couple that I thought should probably stick with
> > SnapshotNow, specifically pgrowlocks and pgstattuple. Those are just
> > gathering statistical information, so there's no harm in having the
> > snapshot change part-way through the scan, and if the scan is long,
> > the user might actually regard the results under SnapshotNow as more
> > accurate.  Whether that's the case or not, holding back xmin for those
> > kinds of scans does not seem wise.
>
> FWIW, I think if we're going to ditch SnapshotNow we should ditch
> SnapshotNow, full stop, even removing the tqual.c routines for it.
> Then we can require that *any* reference to SnapshotNow is replaced by
> an MVCC reference prior to execution, and throw an error if we actually
> try to test a tuple with that snapshot.

I suggest simply renaming it to something else. Every external project
that decides to follow the renaming either has a proper usecase for it
or the amount of sympathy for them keeping the old behaviour is rather
limited.

> If they really want that sort of uncertain semantics they could use
> SnapshotDirty, no?

Not that happy with that. A scan behaving inconsistently over its
proceedings is something rather different than reading uncommitted
rows. I have the feeling that trouble is waiting that way.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Сообщение: Re: Redesigning checkpoint_segments
Сообщение: Re: Redesigning checkpoint_segments