Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report
Дата
Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:54:03PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I am not sure if Tom shared yet, but we are planning to package 9.3
> > beta1 on April 29, with a release on May 2.  Those dates might change,
> > but that is the current plan.  I have completed a draft 9.3 release
> > notes, which you can view here:
> >
> >     http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-9-3.html
> >
> > I will be working on polishing them for the next ten days, so any
> > feedback, patches, or commits are welcome.  I still need to add lots of
> > SGML markup.
>
> Can you please clarify the policy on attaching people's names to items?

Well, I just pull them from the commit message, of it no one is
mentioned in the commit message, I use the committer's name.

> This item
>   Have DROP OWNED only remove user-matching GRANTs on shared objects, e.g.
>   databases, tablespaces (Álvaro Herrera)
> was a backpatched bugfix; I don't think it should be listed.

OK, removed.  I now see there was a backpatch mention in the commit
messsage.

> This item
>   Throw an error if expiring tuple is again updated or deleted (Kevin
>   Grittner) KEEP?
>
> not only needs to be kept, but is also a backward-incompatible change,
> so I think it warrants a more verbose explanation.

OK, I don't understand myself, so I will need details.  I marked it as
backward-incompatible.

> This item
>   Improve the ability to detect indexable prefixes in regular
>   expressions (Tom Lane)
> I'm not really sure about it.  Isn't it about the new pg_trgm code to
> support regex indexes?  I think they either belong together, or perhaps
> the one in "optimizer" shouldn't be listed.

I have no idea.  I certainly see it affecting more than pg_trgm;  I see
backend regression test additions with the patch,
628cbb50ba80c83917b07a7609ddec12cda172d0.

> This item
>   Implement a generic binary heap and use it for Merge-Append operations
>   (Abhijit Menon-Sen)
>
> A generic binary heap was implemented; but merge-append was already
> using their own binary heap.  So this is not a performance optimization.
> I think the item should be moved down to the "source code" section.

OK.

> There's an extra double quote here:
>   "Allow in-memory sorts to use their full memory allocation (Jeff Janes)

Fixed.

> This item:
>   Allow heap-only tuple updates on system tables (Andres Freund)
> was a bug fix; item should be removed.

OK.

> Shouldn't this one
>   Add function to report the size of the GIN pending index insertion
>   list (Fujii Masao)
> be in the "additional modules" section?

Yes, moved.

> In this item
>   Add support to event triggers (Dimitri Fontaine, Tom Lane)
> I am not sure why you list Tom.  I think Robert should be listed
> instead.

Tom did a massive fix/cleanup of that code.  I have added Robert.

> In this this
>   Internally store default foreign key matches (non-FULL, non-PARTIAL) as
>   "simple" (Tom Lane)
> there is something funny going on with & chars around unspecified.

Fixed, and applied.

Thanks!

http://enterprisedb.com