Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-04-02 12:22:03 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > But, having said that, I still think the best idea is what Andres
> > proposed, which pretty much matches my own thoughts: the bgwriter
> > needs to populate the free list, so that buffer allocations don't have
> > to wait for linear scans of the buffer array.  That's just plain too
> > slow.
>
> I agree in general, though I'm not sure the bgwriter process can
> reasonably handle this need along with what it's already supposed to be
> doing.  We may need another background process that is just responsible
> for keeping the freelist populated.

What else is the bgwriter actually doing otherwise? Sure, it doesn't put the
pages on the freelist, but otherwise its trying to do the above isn't it?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache
Сообщение: Re: Page replacement algorithm in buffer cache