sql text

От Ray Stell
Тема sql text
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Forwarding a post seen on an oracle list this morning as Stephane has been quite
an inspiration over the years and he is covering postgresql in this text:

    Some list members may be adjunct or full-time faculty members and
  interested by the fact that I'm currently working on a 450-page textbook
  on Database Programming (title "SQL Success", subtitle "Database
  Programming Proficiency") that I will publish under the name of my
  company in a few months - the target is the "Database
  Fundamentals/Database Programming" undergraduate and continuous
  education courses (besides Oracle I cover SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL,
  DB2 - and SQLite). I'm short on theory and long on correctness and
  efficiency; my idea of a successful database instruction isn't being
  able to parrot the definition of 23 normal forms and requiring a
  procedure and five cursors to perform 20 times slower what can be done
  in a single query.
  The book is quite solid on SQL, I can say; some stuff can probably be
  considered advanced (those of you who don't teach may wish to refer
  their favorite Java developers to it ...)
   The book will probably be published around July (a few things to
  finish) but I am beginning to raise awareness about it, as well as the
  1,000+ slides that come with it for instructors (the kind of slides of
  my Youtube videos, not the dreadful Word-outline-to-bullet-points slides
  with a static diagram here and there too often provided by textbook
  publishers), and the eco-system I am building around it (which includes
  an SQL sandbox suitable for online classes).

   All details, including chapter samples (posted as they return from
  proof-reading), on http://edu.konagora.com; there is a special section
  for instructors with full chapters and  a lot of additional stuff,
  exercises, etc. (requires a college email address and I check manually
  that you are a faculty member and not a student). The SQL sandbox is
  publicly accessible, if you need to quickly test SQL developers during
  job interviews ...

  Hope that some of you will find my efforts useful ...

  --
  Stephane Faroult
  RoughSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com>