Re: BUG #7920: Sequence rename leave stale value for sequence_name

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: BUG #7920: Sequence rename leave stale value for sequence_name
Дата
Re: BUG #7920: Sequence rename leave stale value for sequence_name  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-bugs
On 2013-03-06 09:15:01 +0000, maxim.boguk@gmail.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      7920
> Logged by:          Maksym Boguk
> Email address:      maxim.boguk@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.2.3
> Operating system:   Linux
>
> sequence_name left stale after sequence rename:
>
> Test case shows same problem on versions 9.0 9.1 9.2:
>
> [postgres]=# create sequence qqq;
>
> [postgres]=# SELECT sequence_name FROM qqq;
>  sequence_name
> ---------------
>  qqq
>
> [postgres]=# alter sequence qqq rename to lalala;
>
> --surprise                              [postgres]=# SELECT sequence_name
> FROM lalala;
>  sequence_name
> ---------------
>  qqq
>

> pg_dump -F p -s postgres | grep qqq
> --empty

I don't find this particularly suprising. Nothing looks at that field in
sequences, there imo is no point on having the name inside at all.

Do you need that for some usecase or did you just happen to notice it?

SELECT tableoid::regclass AS sequence_name FROM lalala; should do the
trick for now.

I personally don't see any way to nicely fix that. We can add code to
also change the contents, but currently thats generic code. Or we could
just remove the column in the next release?

Greetings,

Andres Freund