Re: autovacuum not prioritising for-wraparound tables

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: autovacuum not prioritising for-wraparound tables
Дата
Re: autovacuum not prioritising for-wraparound tables  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: autovacuum not prioritising for-wraparound tables  (Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas escribió:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera escribió:
> >
> >> Okay, here's a patch along these lines.  I haven't considered Jim's
> >> suggestion downthread about discounting dead tuples from relpages; maybe
> >> we can do that by subtracting the pages attributed to dead ones,
> >> estimating via tuple density (reltuples/relpages).
> >
> > Patch attached.
>
> This strikes me as too clever by half.  You've introduced the concept
> of a "Browne strength" (apparently named for Christopher Browne) and
> yet you haven't even bothered to add a comment explaining the meaning
> of the term, let along justifying the choice of that formula rather
> than any other.  I don't want to dog this proposal to death, because
> surely we can do better than the status quo here, but adopting the
> first formula someone proposed without any analysis of whether it does
> the right thing cannot possibly be the correct decision process.

My intention was to apply a Nasby correction to Browne Strength and call
the resulting function Browne' (Browne prime).  Does that sound better?

Now seriously, I did experiment a bit with this and it seems to behave
reasonably.  Of course, there might be problems with it, and I don't
oppose to changing the name.  "Vacuum strength" didn't sound so great,
so I picked the first term that came to mind.  It's not like picking
people's last names to name stuff is a completely new idea; that said,
it was sort of a joke.

Сообщение: Re: autovacuum not prioritising for-wraparound tables
Сообщение: Re: autovacuum not prioritising for-wraparound tables