Re: Passing connection string to pg_basebackup

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Passing connection string to pg_basebackup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:

> I heartily agree. I can say from firsthand experience that when minor
> releases break things for customers (and they do), the customers get
> *really* cranky. Based on recent experience, I think we should be
> tightening our standards for what gets back-patched, not loosening
> them.

+1

Any change in a minor release which causes working production code
to break very quickly and seriously erodes confidence in the
ability to apply a minor release without extensive (and expensive)
testing. When that confidence erordes, users stay on old minor
releases for extended periods -- often until they hit one of the
bugs which was fixed in a minor release.

We need to be very conservative about back-patching any changes in
user-visible behavior.

-Kevin