Re: Inconsistent format() behavior for argument-count inconsistency

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Inconsistent format() behavior for argument-count inconsistency
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> Why do we throw an error for too few arguments, but not too many?

Not sure offhand, though I could see how it might be useful.  A use-case
might be that you have a variable template string which is user defined,
where they can choose from the arguments that are passed which ones they
want displayed and how.  Otherwise, you'd have to have a bunch of
different call sites to format() depending on which options are
requested.

I'd go look at what C sprintf() does, as I feel like that's what we're
trying to emulate and see what it does.

There is also a patch that I reviewed/commented on about changing format
around a bit.  I'm guessing it needs more review/work, just havn't
gotten back around to it yet.
Thanks,
    Stephen