Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Add --no-comments to skip COMMENTs with pg_dump

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Add --no-comments to skip COMMENTs with pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
>> Fair point, but doesn't it apply equally to non-default ACLs on any
>> other system objects?  If you tweaked the permissions on say pg_ls_dir(),
>> then dump, then tweak them some more, you're going to get uncertain
>> results if you load that dump back into this database ... with or without
>> --clean, because we certainly aren't going to drop pinned objects.

> Yes, that's certainly true, the public schema is the only "special"
> animal in this regard and making it less special (and more like
> pg_ls_dir()) would definitely be nice.

I wonder if it'd be worth the trouble to invent a variant of REVOKE
that means "restore this object's permissions to default" --- that is,
either the ACL recorded in pg_init_privs if there is one, or NULL if
there's no pg_init_privs entry.  Then you could imagine pg_dump emitting
that command before trying to assign an ACL to any object it hadn't
created earlier in the run, rather than guessing about the current state
of the object's ACL.  (I'm not volunteering.)

>> I think we could jigger things so that we dump the definition of these
>> special quasi-system objects only if their ACLs are not default, but
>> it's not clear to me that that's really an improvement in the long run.
>> Seems like it's just making them even wartier.

> Yeah, that would be worse, I agree.

So are we at a consensus yet?

Сообщение: Re: PATCH: Exclude unlogged tables from base backups
Сообщение: Re: PATCH: Exclude unlogged tables from base backups