Re: Default timezone changes in 9.1

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Default timezone changes in 9.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2012-12-16 12:25:13 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Setting the timezone to 'localtime' seems to work as well, even without
> > a patch. I haven't found any documentation about it and I am not
> > completely sure about the semantics, but it looks ok on a first glance.
>
> I think on most distros that use the Olson tz database, 'localtime' is
> defined by means of adding a symlink in the system timezone directory.
> It's going to refer to whatever zone was chosen as the system-wide
> default.  That would match what the postmaster sees as the system
> timezone if you have not set TZ in its environment ... but it would also
> match what initdb sees as the system timezone.  I'm still not sure what
> the OP actually wants to accomplish by moving the time of making the
> choice.

I guess he wants - and I have seen that before - to use the same
postgresql.conf across a number of different systems. Where the
individual servers are in different timezones...

Doing initdb, extracting the few values that should be kept, and then
putting those and an include for the common configuration file into the
configuration is harder than just replacing it alltogether.

Greetings,

Andres Freund