Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)
Дата
Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)
Список pgsql-hackers
* Noah Misch (noah@leadboat.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 06:51:18PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Now, what I've honestly been hoping for on this thread was for someone
> > to speak up and point out why I'm wrong about this concern and explain
> > how this patch addresses that issue.  If that's been done, I've missed
> > it..

[...]

So, apparently I'm not wrong about my concern, but no one seems to share
my feelings on this change.

I continue to hold that this could end up being a slippery slope for us
to go down wrt 'correctness' vs. 'do whatever the user wants'.  If we
keep this to only COPY and where the table has to be truncated/created
in the same transaction (which requires the user to have sufficient
privileges to do non-MVCC-safe things on the table already), perhaps
it's alright.  It'll definitely reduce the interest in finding a real
solution though, which is unfortunate.
Thanks,
    Stephen