Re: Insane behaviour in 8.3.3

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: Insane behaviour in 8.3.3
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Παρ 15 Ιουν 2012 12:28:21 Samuel Gendler wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Achilleas Mantzios <
>
> achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
> > And i forgot to mention, minicom term emulation quality sucks, even
> > giving simple
> > shell commands is a PITA, upgrading the whole fleet would mean bast case
> > scenario
> > minimum 21K USD for the whole fleet + suspension of all other activities
> > for two months.
> > If physical travel was involved, the cost would be increased at even
> > higher levels.
>
> And what is the cost of data corruption on large numbers of systems?  And
> how much to fix that, especially if multiple systems fail at the same time?
>  Some things aren't free. $21K in exchange for NOT having had to keep
> systems up to date for 4 years seems like a decent trade.

After 12 years of using PostgreSQL in this environment, I can assure you that things are not so scary.
We have multiple plans of action in case a slave installation totally gets damaged,
plus PostgreSQL has been a real beast of reliability.
Also here you neglet the cost of actual migration, test plans, which adds to the whole picture.
Moving from 7.4 to 8.3 back in 2008, was not easy at all (tsearch, intarray, loads of black magic, etc..).
You could no just send a tech guy to the ship to perform the migration, he would have to know
what he is actually doing and why when executing the 100 lines script line by line.
Some time in the future, we will commence another round of migration,
(at any point in time we need to support all current working versions)
but we will have to feel a substantial reason to do so.

-
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEPT

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Insane behaviour in 8.3.3
Сообщение: Re: Insane behaviour in 8.3.3