Re: [PERFORM] pg_dump and thousands of schemas

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: [PERFORM] pg_dump and thousands of schemas
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2012-03/msg00225.php
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2012-03/msg00230.php
>>
>> I'm wondering if these fixes (or today's commit) include the case for
>> a database has ~100 thounsands of tables, indexes. One of my customers
>> has had troubles with pg_dump for the database, it takes over 10
>> hours.
>
> So I did qucik test with old PostgreSQL 9.0.2 and current (as of
> commit 2755abf386e6572bad15cb6a032e504ad32308cc). In a fresh initdb-ed
> database I created 100,000 tables, and each has two integer
> attributes, one of them is a primary key. Creating tables were
> resonably fast as expected (18-20 minutes). This created a 1.4GB
> database cluster.
>
> pg_dump dbname >/dev/null took 188 minutes on 9.0.2, which was pretty
> long time as the customer complained. Now what was current?  Well it
> took 125 minutes. Ps showed that most of time was spent in backend.
>
> Below is the script to create tables.
>
> cnt=100000
> while [ $cnt -gt 0 ]
> do
> psql -e -p 5432 -c "create table t$cnt(i int primary key, j int);" test
> cnt=`expr $cnt - 1`
> done
>
> p.s. You need to increate max_locks_per_transaction before running
> pg_dump (I raised to 640 in my case).

Just for record, I rerun the test again with my single-LOCK patch, and
now total runtime of pg_dump is 113 minutes.
188 minutes(9.0)->125 minutes(git master)->113 minutes(with my patch).

So far, I'm glad to see 40% time savings at this point.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan