Re: pg_upgrade libraries check

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade libraries check
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:20:29AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> pg_upgrade is a little over-keen about checking for shared libraries
> that back functions. In particular, it checks for libraries that
> support functions created in pg_catalog, even if pg_dump doesn't
> export the function.
>
> The attached patch mimics the filter that pg_dump uses for functions
> so that only the relevant libraries are checked.
>
> This would remove the need for a particularly ugly hack in making
> the 9.1 backport of JSON binary upgradeable.

Andrew is right that pg_upgrade is overly restrictive in checking _any_
shared object file referenced in pg_proc.  I never expected that
pg_catalog would have such references, but in Andrew's case it does, and
pg_dump doesn't dump them, so I guess pg_upgrade shouldn't check them
either.

In some sense this is a hack for the JSON type, but it also gives users
a way to create shared object references in old clusters that are _not_
checked by pg_upgrade, and not migrated to the new server, so I suppose
it is fine.

http://enterprisedb.com