Re: heap metapages

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: heap metapages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> The FSM and VM are small enough
> that interleaving them with the actual data probably wouldn't slow
> down seq scans materially.

Wouldn't that end up potentially causing lots of random i/o if you need
to look at many parts of the FSM or VM..?

Also, wouldn't having it at the start of the heap reduce the changes
needed to the SM?  Along with make such things easier to find
themselves, when talking about forensics?

Of course, the real challenge here is dealing with such an on-disk
format change...  If we were starting from scratch, I doubt there would
be much resistance, but figuring out how to do this and still support
pg_upgrade could be quite ugly.
Thanks,
    Stephen