Missing optimization when filters are applied after window functions

От Volker Grabsch
Тема Missing optimization when filters are applied after window functions
Дата
Re: Missing optimization when filters are applied after window functions  (Hitoshi Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear PostgreSQL hackers,

[ please CC to me as I'm not subscribed to the list ]

I think there is a missing optimization when a filter is
applied after a window function, where the filtered field
is also used for partitioning.

Here a simplified example: Suppose we have a table
that stores 100.000 ids, and 10 random values per id:
   create table test (       id integer,       value double precision,       primary key (id, value)   );
   insert into test (id, value)       select           generate_series(1, 100000) id,           random()       from
     generate_series(1, 10);

We are now asking for the rank of each value per id
(it doesn't matter if it's rank() or any other window
function):
   select       id,       value,       rank() over (partition by id order by value)   from       test;

Now suppose we're interested only in the result for
id 23000. If the query above was defined in a view,
this would lead to the following query:
   select       *   from       (           select               id,               value,               rank() over
(partitionby id order by value)           from               test       ) subquery   where       id = 23000;

This is very slow! The "explain" command shows the reason:
   Subquery Scan on subquery  (cost=0.00..86556.80 rows=5000 width=20)      Filter: (subquery.id = 23000)       ->
WindowAgg (cost=0.00..74056.80 rows=1000000 width=12)            ->  Index Scan using test_pkey on test
(cost=0.00..56556.80rows=1000000 width=12)

The Filter (id = 23000) is applied after WindowAgg,
although it could certainly be applied before!

Of course we could rewrite the above query like this:
   select       id,       value,       rank() over (partition by id order by value)   from       test   where       id
=23000;

This would lead to a more sane plan where the filter is
applied before WindowAgg, making use of the primary key:
   WindowAgg  (cost=43.53..43.70 rows=10 width=12)     ->  Sort  (cost=43.53..43.55 rows=10 width=12)           Sort
Key:value           ->  Bitmap Heap Scan on test  (cost=4.53..43.36 rows=10 width=12)                 Recheck Cond: (id
=23000)                 ->  Bitmap Index Scan on test_pkey  (cost=0.00..4.53 rows=10 width=0)
IndexCond: (id = 23000)

However, the second query cannot be cleanly split into
a generic view and a specialized part anymore.

In other words, it is currently impossible to use Window
functions in a View without risking serious, unexpected
performance issues, even in simple cases!

I propose the following general optimization: If all window
functions are partitioned by the same first field (here: id),
then any filter on that field should be executed before
WindowAgg. So a query like this:
   select       ...   from       (select           ... over (partition by FIELD, other2, ...)           ... over
(partitionby FIELD, other3, ...)           ... over (partition by FIELD, ...)           ...       )   where
SOME_FILTER(FIELD)

Shoule be transformed into that:
   select       ...   from       (select           ... over (partition by FIELD, other2, ...)           ... over
(partitionby FIELD, other3, ...)           ... over (partition by FIELD, ...)           ...        where
SOME_FILTER(FIELD)      )

I verfied that this issue exists with PostgreSQL 9.2 beta 1
as well as the PostgreSQL 9.1 release.

Is there any work on this issue? Or am I wrong and this
optimization should not be implemented for some reason?

Regards,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch