Re: WalSndWakeup() and synchronous_commit=off

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: WalSndWakeup() and synchronous_commit=off
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Monday, May 14, 2012 07:55:32 PM Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:

> >> Another point here is that XLogWrite is not only normally called with
> >> the lock held, but inside a critical section.  I see no reason to take
> >> the risk of doing signal sending inside critical sections.
> >>
> >> BTW, a depressingly large fraction of the existing calls to WalSndWakeup
> >> are also inside critical sections, generally for no good reason that I
> >> can see.  For example, in EndPrepare(), why was the call placed where
> >> it is and not down beside SyncRepWaitForLSN?
> >
> > Hm. While I see no real problem moving it out of the lock I don't really
> > see a way to cleanly outside critical sections everywhere. The impact of
> > doing so seems to be rather big to me. The only externally visible place
> > where it actually is known whether we write out data and thus do the
> > wakeup is XLogInsert, XLogFlush and XLogBackgroundFlush. The first two
> > of those are routinely called inside a critical section.
>
> So what about moving the existing calls of WalSndWakeup() out of a critical
> section and adding new call of WalSndWakeup() into XLogBackgroundFlush()?
> Then all WalSndWakeup()s are called outside a critical section and after
> releasing WALWriteLock. I attached the patch.
Imo its simply not sensible to call WalSndWakeup at *any* of the current
locations. They simply don't have the necessary information. They will wakeup
too often (because with concurrency commits often won't require additional wal
writes) and too seldom (because a flush caused by XLogInsert wont cause a
wakeup).

Andres

--
Andres Freund        http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

От: Joshua Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Strange issues with 9.2 pg_basebackup & replication
От: Jeff Janes
Сообщение: Re: Why do we still have commit_delay and commit_siblings?