Re: Draft release notes complete

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Draft release notes complete
Дата
Re: Draft release notes complete  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:01:32AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 09:51:49AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

feature/bugfixdescriptions, and then have a separate section "Other Contributors" to recognize patch reviewers and
otherhelpers?

> > >That does not work for me.  There is no practical reason for a list of
> > >names to appear in the release notes.  I suggest if we want to do that
> > >that we remove all names from the release notes (as Tom suggested), and
> > >create a wiki for credit, and link to that from the release
> > >announcement.  That would allow us to put company names in there too.
> > >

> > I gave you a reason. You might not agree with it but saying that
> > it's no reason doesn't make it so. A wiki page will just be
> > duplication, IMNSHO.
>
> I mean a reason from the reader/development-process perspective, not
> from the perspective of giving a some benefit to contributors.

Let me add that I am concerned about the lack of objectivity in many of
the suggestions in this thread.  This has prompted me to think that the
temptation of having names on these release note items is just too
great, and that the names should be removed.

Let me put it this way --- the release notes are read by thousands of
people.  The benefit individuals gather from their names in the release
notes is a small part of the overall value provided by the release notes
to users.  There was a practical need to have names on items in the past
--- that need is no longer present.

I predict that if we twist the release notes to have PR value for
contributors, it will become a prepetual problem and will diminish the
cohesiveness of our group.  I am already personally upset by a few of
the things I have seen on this thread.

http://enterprisedb.com