Re: JDBC Statement.setQueryTimeout : is there plan to implement this?

От David Fetter
Тема Re: JDBC Statement.setQueryTimeout : is there plan to implement this?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:01:37PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 14/12/2011 9:29 PM, Sylvain Mougenot wrote:
> >Even if the behaviour is not implemented, I guess it could be
> >"mocked" if the call to Statement.setQueryTimeout(int seconds)
> >generated the select statement "SELECT statement_timeout(SEC)".  I
> >know this is not ideal but could solve the problem temporarily.  I
> >could even be turned on by some driver settings.
> >

> (following up on last post): See in particular this thread:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2010-10/msg00071.php
>
> with posts like:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2010-10/msg00131.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2010-10/msg00077.php
>

> I'm a little concerned about the proposal to use a java.util.Timer,
> as IIRC there are issues with using a Timer in a JavaEE environment.
> I'm struggling to find more than vague references like it being
> "inappropriate for a managed environment" though.
>
> Ah, here:
>
> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=236
>
> "JavaTM Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE and formally known as
> J2EETM) server containers such as the enterprise bean or web
> component container do not allow using common Java SE concurrency
> APIs such as java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor,
> java.lang.Thread, java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor
> or java.util.Timer directly."
>
> and
>
> "java.util.Timer, java.lang.Thread and the Java SE concurrency
> utilities (JSR-166) in the java.util.concurrency package should
> never be used within managed environments, as it creates threads
> outside the purview of the container."
>
> I suspect that PgJDBC will have to get a timer from the container
> via JNDI and fall back to direct instantiation if it is in a Java SE
> environment. I'm not sure how to do that right now or whether it can
> be done in a container-independent way (*shudder*). I'm quite sure
> that using EJB timers is NOT the right way to do it - they're not
> supported by web profile containers and are really intended for
> "business level" timers that should be persistent across
> redeploy/relaunch of appserver/reboot.
>
> I've CC'd David Fetter, the author of the JDBC patch.

Do we have some ideas as to what strategies the Oracle and Microsoft
SQL Server drivers do?  As I recall, the MS-SQL Server ones used to
use a Timer thread, although that may have changed.  Are there other
relevant drivers whose behavior we should look to?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: