Re: Server/Data Migration Advice

От Andreas Kretschmer
Тема Re: Server/Data Migration Advice
Дата
Re: Server/Data Migration Advice
Список pgsql-general
Carlos Mennens <carlos.mennens@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've finally received my new virtual database server (Debian Linux) &
> this weekend I'll be rolling my new PostgreSQL server online. My
> question is I've never migrated production data from 8.4.8 to 9.1.1. I
> would like to find out from the community what exactly is the
> recommended process in moving my database server from 8.4.8 to 9.1.1.
> I'm not simply upgrading the existing server as I will be installing
> PostgreSQL 9.1 on the new hardware and not sure if it's as simple as
> simply performing a pg_dumpall:
>
> pg_dumpall > mydata.sql
>
> I don't know if I need to use some kind of conversion tool to convert
> the data from 8.4.8 so that it's compatible with 9.1.1 so if you guys
> could please shine in on any recommendations, I would greatly
> appreciate it!

- you should use 9.1.2, not 9.1.1 ;-)
- use the pg_dumpall from the new version to make the dump, for instance
  pg_dumpall -h <old_host> ... | psql (something like this, on the new
  host)

Du you have BYTEA-Columns? The default output-format changed. Some other
details changed too, read the release notes!

Andreas