Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?

От Marc Cousin
Тема Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Le Fri, 09 Dec 2011 11:11:12 +0800,
Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> a écrit :

> On 12/08/2011 08:27 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Craig
> > Ringer<ringerc@ringerc.id.au>  wrote:
> >
> >> Areas in which Pg seems significantly less capable include:
> > Please can you explain the features Oracle has in these area, I'm
> > not clear. Thanks.
> >
> Marc has, as I was hoping, done so much better than I could. Most of
> what I know is 2nd hand from Oracle users - I'm not one myself.
>
> It's interesting to see the view that the resource manager for query
> and user prioritisation is hard to use in practice. That's not
> something I'd heard before, but I can't say I'm entirely surprised
> given how complicated problems around lock management and priority
> inversion are to get right even in a system where there *aren't*
> free-form dynamic user-defined queries running.

The complexity, at least for me, came from the user interface (at
least a dozen of stored procedures with a complex syntax) to set up and
monitor the resource manager.

I don't think it manages the priority inversion problems, just CPU
priorities. I asked the Oracle trainer, who wasn't sure either :)