Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?

От Marc Cousin
Тема Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Le Thu, 8 Dec 2011 18:02:51 +0100,
"Tomas Vondra" <tv@fuzzy.cz> a écrit :

> On 8 Prosinec 2011, 17:11, Marc Cousin wrote:
> > Le Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:29:28 -0600,

> >> you have a couple of very good options to achieve the same in
> >> postgres -- pgbouncer, pgpool.
> >>

> > I wish it was the same (I use and like both pgbouncer and pgpool
> > too, and they do a good job, I'm not arguing on that). But
> > unfortunately it isn't: you still have the notion of session for
> > each connected client in Oracle when using the shared servers model.
>
> True, it is not exactly the same, it's similar. I don't think
> PostgreSQL will ever provide 'shared backends' the way Oracle does -
> it would require significant code change. Most of the benefits can be
> achieved by using a connection pool without the added complexity.

I didn't ask for it. It's just not the same, which was what I was
answering to.

> > It means you keep your session variables, your prepared statements,
> > your running transaction, etc… in each individual session while
> > having the multiplexing equivalent of a 'statement level' from
> > pgbouncer.
>
> Yes. But if you expect that PostgreSQL will mimic Oracle architecture,
> then you're mistaken. It's simply a different solution with different
> architecture, and that means you may need to use different application
> design sometimes.

I just don't understand what you're getting all heated up for. I don't
want PostgreSQL to mimic Oracle, and I'm only answering to Simon's
question at the begining.

I'm just saying that there are differences between the pgbouncer approach
and the shared server approach, and benefits to the later (and to the
former too by the way, mainly simplicity so less bugs, as shared servers
architecture suffered from a lot of bugs).

Сообщение: Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Сообщение: Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?