Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby

От Jun Ishiduka
Тема Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> >> Agreed. The question is -- how far should we change pg_basebackup to
> >> "get right"? I think it's not difficult to change it so that it backs up
> >> the control file at the end. But eliminating the need for full_page_writes=on
> >> seems not easy. No? So I'm not inclined to do that in at least first commit.
> >> Otherwise, I'm afraid the patch would become huge.
> >
> > It's more server side of base backups than the actual pg_basebackup
> > tool of course, but I'm sure that's what we're all referring to here.
> >
> > Personally, I'd see the fpw stuff as part of the infrastructure
> > needed. Meaning that the fpw stuff should go in *first*, and the
> > pg_basebackup stuff later.
>
> Agreed. I'll extract FPW stuff from the patch that I submitted, and revise it
> as the infrastructure patch.
>
> The changes of pg_start_backup() etc that Ishiduka-san did are also
> a server-side infrastructure. I will extract them as another infrastructure one.
>
> Ishiduka-san, if you have time, feel free to try the above, barring objection.

Done.
Changed the name of the patch.

<Modifications>
 So changed to the positioning of infrastructure,
   * Removed the documentation.
   * changed to an error when you run pg_start/stop_backup() on the standby.

Regards.

Jun Ishizuka
NTT Software Corporation
TEL:045-317-7018