Re: pg_upgrade if 'postgres' database is dropped

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade if 'postgres' database is dropped
Дата
Re: pg_upgrade if 'postgres' database is dropped
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
> > I have not seen enough demand to make this a user-visible configuration.
> > We can just tell them to create a postgres database.   Frankly, they
> > would have had to _remove_ the postgres database after initdb for it not
> > to be there, and they are instructed to change nothing about the new
> > database.
>
> Yes, they would have removed it because they didn't want it.  As I
> recall, part of the agreement to create an extra database by default was
> that it could be removed if users didn't want it.  Turning around and
> then saying "but things won't work if it's not there" isn't exactly
> supporting users who decide to remove it.

Well, you would have to remove it _after_ you did the pg_upgrade.  Right
now if you do a normal dump/restore upgrade, you also have to re-remove
the postgres database.  We don't have any mechanism to drop a database
as part of pg_dumpall's restore if it didn't exist in the old cluster.

> Regarding pg_dumpall and pg_restore, I'm pretty sure both of those can
> be configured to connect to other databases instead, including for
> globals.

Well, please show me the code, because the C code I showed you had the
'\connect postgres' string hardcoded in there.

http://enterprisedb.com