Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao wrote:

> >> Actually, this case is easily solved by an "include recovery.conf"
> >> parameter. ?So it's a non-issue.
> >
> > That is what I've suggested and yes, doing that is straightforward.
>
> Even if we do that, you still need to modify the tool so that it can handle
> the recovery trigger file. recovery.conf is used as just a configuration file
> (not recovery trigger file at all). It's not renamed to recovery.done at the
> end of recovery. If the tool depends on the renaming from recovery.conf
> to recovery.done, it also would need to be modified. If the tool needs to
> be changed anyway, why do you hesitate in changing it so that it adds
> "include recovery.conf" into postgresql.conf automatically?
>
> Or you think that, to keep the backward compatibility completely,
> recovery.conf should be used as not only a configuration file but also a
> recovery trigger one and it should be renamed to recovery.done at
> the end of recovery?

As much as I appreciate Simon's work in this area, I think we are still
unclear if keeping backward-compatibility is worth the complexity
required for future users.  Historically we have been bold in changing
postgresql.conf settings to improve clarity, and that approach has
served us well.

http://enterprisedb.com