Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 10/03/2011 04:41 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On m?n, 2011-10-03 at 15:09 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Why were people not using pg_ctl?  Because of the limitations which
> >> were fixed in PG 9.1?  As Dave already said, windows already has to
> >> use pg_ctl.
> > Historically, pg_ctl has had a lot of limitations.  Just off the top of
> > my head, nonstandard ports used to break it, nonstandard socket
> > directories used to break it, nonstandard authentication setups used to
> > break it, the waiting business was unreliable, the stop modes were weird
> > and not flexible enough, the behavior in error cases does not conform to
> > LSB init script conventions, there were some race conditions that I
> > don't recall the details of right now.  And you had to keep a list of
> > exactly which of these bugs were addressed in which version.
>

> I'm not sure ancient history helps us much here.  Many of these went
> away long ago.

Agreed.  You could argue that pg_ctl 9.1 is much better than anything
anyone would be able to craft in a script.

http://enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories
Сообщение: Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories