Re: overzealous sorting?

От anthony.shipman@symstream.com
Тема Re: overzealous sorting?
Дата
Re: overzealous sorting?  (Marc Cousin <cousinmarc@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Tuesday 27 September 2011 18:54, Marc Cousin wrote:
> The thing is, the optimizer doesn't know if your data will be in cache
> when you will run your query… if you are sure most of your data is in
> the cache most of the time, you could try to tune random_page_cost
> (lower it) to reflect that data is cached. But if the win is small on
> this query, it may not be worth it.

What I really want is to just read a sequence of records in timestamp order
between two timestamps. The number of records to be read may be in the
millions totalling more than 1GB of data so I'm trying to read them a slice
at a time but I can't get PG to do just this.

If I use offset and limit to grab a slice of the records from a large
timestamp range then PG will grab all of the records in the range, sort them
on disk and return just the slice I want. This is absurdly slow.

The query that I've shown is one of a sequence of queries with the timestamp
range progressing in steps of 1 hour through the timestamp range. All I want
PG to do is find the range in the index, find the matching records in the
table and return them. All of the planner's cleverness just seems to get in
the way.

--
Anthony Shipman                 | Consider the set of blacklists that
Anthony.Shipman@symstream.com   | do not blacklist themselves...