Re: Query optimization using order by and limit

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Query optimization using order by and limit
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Mike,

* Michael Viscuso (michael.viscuso@getcarbonblack.com) wrote:
> I spent the better part of the day implementing an application layer
> nested loop and it seems to be working well.  Of course it's a little
> slower than a Postgres only solution because it has to pass data back
> and forth for each daily table query until it reaches the limit, but at
> least I don't have "runaway" queries like I was seeing before.  That
> should be a pretty good stopgap solution for the time being.

Glad to hear that you were able to get something going which worked for
you.

> I was really hoping there was a Postgres exclusive answer though! :)  If
> there are any other suggestions, it's a simple flag in my application to
> query the other way again...

I continue to wonder if some combination of multi-column indexes might
have made the task of finding the 'lowest' record from each of the
tables fast enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

> Thanks for all your help - and I'm still looking to change those
> numerics to bigints, just haven't figured out the best way yet.

Our timestamps are also implemented using 64bit integers and would allow
you to use all the PG date/time functions and operators.  Just a
thought.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Вложения