Re: index row requires 10040 bytes, maximum size is 8191

От Michael Shepanski
Тема Re: index row requires 10040 bytes, maximum size is 8191
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Craig Ringer writes:

 >Thoughts, folks? Does this matter in practice, since anything you'd
 > want to index will in practice be small enough or a candidate for
 > full-text indexing?

Here's my case: the field is meant to hold a person's name, so it's
usually well under the 8191-byte limit.  I want it indexed so that I can
sort on it quickly.  I also want it to be robust against abuse, so if
someone does enter the text of _War and Peace_ as their name,
I want to handle that gracefully.

I can achieve that by my own programming, outside of postgresql,
and that's fine if I'm the only one who has gotten into this fix.  Otoh
if it's a common problem then there's a reason why removing the
limitation might matter in practice.

Regards,
--- Michael