Re: Foreign tables using postgresql_fdw or odbc_fdw

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Foreign tables using postgresql_fdw or odbc_fdw
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:32:43 am Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter wrote:
> Tried both, but they don't work for 9.1.
>
> I want to thank Adrian, without his help I would never find the link that
> confirmed the postgresql_fdw is not working.
>
> Would be nice to make all this information clear in Foreign Data Wrapper
> documentation at PostgreSQL manuals.

To be fair FDW is a brand new feature on a just released for production version
of Postgres.  As good as the Postgres docs are, they often take some time to
catch up with all the ins and outs of the new bright and shiny features.

> I wasted at least 12 hours trying to make it work. The only real option is
> file_fdw, that is not that useful (I would connect my database to files
> just for curiosity - otherwise, I would use only an application that
> validates the file before importing into database for fast operations).

Google is your friend:) It took me about 5 minutes using this search string-
'postgres dblink fdw' to find the link I posted previously.
As to options take a look at:
http://pgxn.org/tag/fdw/

> odbc_fdw would work, but it's near to impossible for a normal human bean to
> compile using MSVC; and it's not available in binary format (see, I'm not a
> C developer for many, many years now... and I work in an hybrid environment
> with Windows and Linux machines).

Development of Postgres and its associated software tends to happen on Unixen
machines, so there somewhat of a lack of info on doing development under
Windows.  I personally have not tried to compile under Windows. From what I have
read though, one heavily promoted option is to use MingW(http://www.mingw.org/)
as the development environment in Windows.

> Sorry for the rant... I hope to save time for others who wish to use FDW in
> a real scenario.

Another way to save someone time is to use MingW or MSVC to compile an extension
and report back to the community your successes or failures.  There are a lot of
bright energetic people on this list who would be willing and able to help you
in your endeavor. The knowledge gained would further the cause and make life
easier on down the road for everyone.

> Regards,
>
> Edson Richter.

Thanks,