Re: Reduce WAL logging of INSERT SELECT

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Reduce WAL logging of INSERT SELECT
Дата
Re: Reduce WAL logging of INSERT SELECT  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 08/04/2011 04:55 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian<bruce@momjian.us>  writes:
> >> One thing we don't optimize is INSERT ... SELECT when the table is
> >> created or truncated in the same transaction.  Seems we could.
> >> We optimize CREATE TABLE AS which is effectively SELECT ... INTO using a
> >> different syntax.  Is this a TODO?
> > Considering that SELECT INTO is deprecated, I don't think we should be
> > expending effort to encourage people to use it.
> >

> Right, but the original point about INSERT ... SELECT seems reasonable, no?

Right.  I brought up SELECT INTO because you could make the argument
that INSERT ... SELECT is not a utility command like the other ones and
therefore can't be done easily, but CREATE TABLE AS is internal SELECT
INTO and implemented in execMain.c, which I think is where INSERT ...
SELECT would also be implemented.

http://enterprisedb.com