Re: Patch for pg_upgrade to turn off autovacuum

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Patch for pg_upgrade to turn off autovacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> >> The attached patch adds a new postmaster/postgres binary upgrade mode
> >> (-b) which disables autovacuum, allows only super-user connections, and
> >> prevents pg_upgrade_support oid assignment when not in upgrade mode.
> >> It also modifies pg_upgrade to use this new mode rather than play with
> >> trying to stop autovacuum.
>
> > One big problem with this patch is that it will not allow people to use
> > pg_upgrade when upgrading from 9.1 alpha to beta.
>
> Huh?  Why would that be?  Seems like you've done something in the wrong
> place if that's an issue.

Yeah, it is complicated.  I don't really care if autovacuum runs on the
old cluster (we only move the files while the server is down).  We only
want autovacuum not to mess with the relfrozenxids we set on the new
cluster while the table file is empty.

The other issue is that the old alpha binary will not know about the -b
flag and hence will not start.

This all came up when we were looking for the relfrozenxid bug, which we
found as TOAST which has been fixed.  This is a very small problem so
maybe we just skip the fix for 9.1.

http://enterprisedb.com