Re: pg_upgrade bug found!

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade bug found!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> > all we need to do is set those hint bits before the clog gets
> > remove, so maybe just a SELECT * would do the trick!
>
> Does that mean that those experiencing the problem are failing to do
> the vacuumdb run which is recommended in the pg_upgrade instructions?

You know, I looked at that, but I don't think that is going to save me.
:-(   It says:
Upgrade complete----------------| Optimizer statistics are not transferred by pg_upgrade| so consider running:|
vacuumdb--all --analyze-only| on the newly-upgraded cluster.| Running this script will delete the old cluster's data
files:|      /usr/var/local/pgdev/pgfoundry/pg_migrator/pg_migrator/delete_old_cluster.sh

We recommend 'vacuumdb --all --analyze-only' which I assume only samples
random pages and does not set all the hint bits.  In fact, you can't
even analyze TOAST tables:
test=> ANALYZE pg_toast.pg_toast_3596;WARNING:  skipping "pg_toast_3596" --- cannot analyze non-tables orspecial system
tablesANALYZE

but you can SELECT from them:
 chunk_id | chunk_seq | chunk_data----------+-----------+------------(0 rows)

Also, if we force VACUUM FREEZE on the toast tables we would have no
need to advance their relfrozenxids because all the xids would be fixed.

http://enterprisedb.com